The Events Center

The Means Alumni Gym pays tribute to the pride and passion in the hearts of the Academy’s family and friends. Since opening in 1962, this building has served generations of students who have passed through its doors. The historic transformation of a gym into a LEED certified multi-purpose center honors the tradition of advancing the school’s Mission by thoughtfully responding to the needs of those it serves.
The Events Center is the centerpiece of our commitment to community. With Grades Pre-K through 12 on a single campus, it is important that our community can assemble under one roof. Our goal was to create an indoor space where students, parents, faculty, staff, and alumni can all gather together to celebrate important student milestones and Sewickley Academy traditions such as graduation, Founders’ Day, and our annual back-to-school assembly. In addition, the space features flexible spaces that can be used for class meetings, special events, athletic competitions, training, testing, and more, making the facility a vital community hub.

A Place of Health & Wellness

The number of students participating in athletics at the Academy has increased in recent years along with the number of sports programs and levels within each program. As a result, there is a need to enhance the space for physical education classes and provide safe team practice spaces for use throughout the year. The enhanced facilities serve not only the 85 percent of our students who participate in interscholastic athletics but also the remaining 15 percent, who benefit from additional health, wellness, and fitness programs made possible in this new space.
Renovation highlights:
  • Indoor celebration venue large enough to accommodate the entire school community
  • NCAA regulation-sized basketball court that can be divided to accommodate two high-school-sized basketball courts
  • A space for new program offerings, such as Tai Chi and yoga
  • A spacious fitness center and a core training room to expand our physical education offerings
  • Opportunity for increased team fitness workouts, stretching routines, and core body development
  • Multipurpose space for meetings, testing, or classes
  • Offices for athletic and physical education staff and coaches;
  • Athletic trophy cases and Hall of Fame exhibit 
  • Separate locker rooms for Middle School and Senior School boys and girls; visiting team locker rooms and officials changing rooms
  • Training facility expansion with state-of-the-art equipment
  • Two team meeting rooms with video review capabilities
  • Indoor individualized instruction area for baseball, softball, boys and girls lacrosse, and golf
“We have significantly expanded our athletic program over the past 10 years.
A new facility will offer students and coaches 21st century learning and
developmental experiences that they currently do not have.”
—WIN PALMER, Athletic Director

Video and photo renderings courtesy — Lami Grubb Architects

Construction Photos

Photo Renderings

Contact Us

List of 2 items.

Visit Us!

Main Campus

Sewickley Academy
315 Academy Avenue
Sewickley, PA 15143
Sewickley Academy is a nationally recognized

Pittsburgh Private School

enrolling students in Pre-K through Grade 12 on a single campus.